Friday, April 28, 2006

MaverickED !

A small but a brilliant book Maverick - by Ricardo Semler has indirect answers to many of my questions which I have been trying to find out ever since I started with my "corporate" life. I have always wondered as to why big promises which are made by the top management never materialises at the ground level .

"Why is it that many of the managers take a young professional for granted and give a lot of gas ?" remarked my friend in one of our casual conversations .

" Why the heck do managers insist on MIS when the reality is that the data becomes redundant after a period of time ? " quoted another . "Its just that they care about figures" quipped another replying to the question.

Why are meetings conducted when one has to say something crap and not really when their is something to say ? why , why, why the f*** ? (In one of my previous organizations we were asked to wait every weekend for over 2 hours after general shift timings for a meeting, the contents of which would be excatly same as the past 10 meetings. )Its pretty simple.

The corporate big bosses in all probability care least about their employees and have a single minded goal of making profit ( most of them at the expense of employee satisfaction ) and then when a employee resigns they crib about attrition. My foot ! Alas, they also expect us to fill all those employee satisfaction surveys positively & attend the exit interview.

Forgot to mention that this is a book of a Brazilian Entrepreneur who adopted such employee friendly policies which made the employees feel very loyal to the company and one of the most sought after companies to work with in Brazil by the young grads. Believe me even Mckinsey will get a complex. In one of the examples the writer questions companies which claim to treat their employees as part of their family and then search the employees everyday while leaving in and out to ensure that nothing has been stolen. Is there any family in which one is subjected to such treatment?

My recommendation: A must read especially if you are thinking about entrepreneurship or are / have experienced similar questions as stated earlier.


Next on the shelf: - Saving Capitalism From The Capitalists
.

Disclaimer: Please be kindly informed that the above post is in no way related to my experiences with my current employer .

4 Comments:

At 11:45 pm, Blogger Abhishek Tupe said...

That was a nice one and the way you described it would mean that everybody would want to read it.....I think the questions you have asked are there in every single organization and every single person working there......Beleive me you have Mavericked others as well....For me when I was working all these questions did cross my mind....I am Mavericked.

 
At 1:29 am, Blogger Krishnakumar Chirakkal said...

@ Abhi - Thanks dude and if you do find the book on the shelf go ahead and buy it.

 
At 4:27 am, Blogger Unknown!!! said...

Hmm sure dude will read this one..seems to be interesting..:D.even we have our team meeting...but once in 2months....;)..for half n hour we discuss where to go for the next team outing...but i like the way it is..for some time we discuss seriously abt our project status...and the rest all is fun...

 
At 5:14 pm, Blogger Krishnakumar Chirakkal said...

@ Unknown - Lucky fellow just one meeting in 2 months. In my current organisation thankfully we only meet when absolutely neccessary :-)And yes rest assured that you will like the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home