Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Continuing to Blah Blah Blah ....


As a child during the parents meeting a constant complain from the teachers used to be that I was very talkative. My parents used to always bring this matter up whenever I used to show them the Report card or the exam papers and I slowly escaped to the toilet for the next half an hour avoiding their rhetoric. I had many X's marked against my name by the class monitor on the blackboard for talking excessively and subsequently received lots of punishment from teachers. I still remember writing a sentence " I will not talk in class " 100 times due to a punishment imposed upon me by a teacher in class VIIth.
Years passed on with a feeling that being talkative meant something terribly wrong with a person until I entered the corporate world. When I started meeting people in higher positions I found that they have this tendency to speak for long without a break continuously and the simple reason for this is that most of them are extremely passionate about what they do. You ask a question they will go on and on like amaron batteries until you make some wired excuse of slipping through. Once I happened to ask a close ended question to which the top executive replied " Yes, it is possible. " I was happy to get the answer but then he continued to explain the rationale behind that in a very finicky way which lasted for about 20 minutes . My advise , don't be fooled by their geeky looks because when they open their mouth , you have no escape route and believe me you would not have the strength to reciprocate. Finally don't try to rebut them. Christ help you if you happen to fall in company of a MBA student ( particularly IIMs ) you can be rest assured of a one sided conversation with full of jargons. Once when I asked this person what was the reason that she used so much of jargons ( not that I don't understand :- ) while having a casual conversation pat came the reply that they are used to this and this was the routine. Very similar to this are Entrepreneurs who go on continuously and I just love to watch them talk . As I said earlier all this boils down to passion and you would be able to stretch your talk of 5 minutes to 25 minutes. As I look it most of the successful people ( I repeat most and not all ) generally do this .
Thankfully I have not changed a bit from my versatile childhood days except that nowadays I try to talk a lot of sense ( like my current post :-) which comes very naturally to me. So theres still hope for me to reach the top of the ladder or own a ladder ( I prefer this ) with my blah blah blah .....

4 Comments:

At 12:26 am, Blogger Dhananjay Shettigar said...

Hey, nice post.
Fortunately, MBA did not affect my vocabulary. Its still strewn with MCs and BCs and not Value Chain and Backward Integration and such like.
An interesting incident occured during my summer training at BNP Paribas. I and a friend of mine were working on a project and this guide of ours would go on and on with her jargons without ever making any sense. We did not know whether she is an MBA. Once during an informal discussion on b-schools she said, "Even I am from a b-school. NMIMS." To which my friend said, "Yes, we could make that out." She asked, "How???" Pat came our reply, "You tend to use a lot of jargons." The look on her face was priceless.

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger Surya Ragunaathan said...

Gimme phi! Me too was very talkative(not that I am not now:)) But school mein toh too much tha. Ofcourse, my mom was never spared of the complaints from teachers during the parent-teacher meetings. Your post has reminded me of an incident and you will have to listen to all of this now.....
I used to get punished every now and then for not shutting my trap. In class seventh one day, during the first period, my class teacher, asked me to shift to the last bench, stand there and not move untill the end of the day. This she obviously did coz she thought I wouldnt talk if I were kept aloof and away from the rest. She instructed the class thus, "nobody will talk to surya today, if anyone does so, I suggest he/she also to remain standing in his/her respective place for the whole day." She perhaps had some hopes that I would learn a lesson from this. Well, when she came back to review the class in the break time, she found half the class standing in their respective places. All she could do was LAUGH OUT LOUD!!
cheers!!
(ps: thanks for posting this really nice post that brought good memories back)

 
At 4:29 pm, Blogger Krishnakumar Chirakkal said...

@ Dhananjay - Dude, I am pretty sure that you made a conscious decision not to use a lot of these jargons. Some people use them so frequently that the whole context becomes very arbit similar to the female from NM. The priceless look on her face should have been a real Kodak moment.

@ Surya - . Its Quid Pro Quo I guess. A couple of weeks back your post inspired me to share my friendship day celebrations with everyone.

If half of the class was standing because of you , I am sure that you were a threat to the whole school :-)

 
At 12:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post jadya... Even tho i was not the most talkative guy in the class I sure used to do a lot of 'kidagiri'.. and yes u tho know that I HAVE been always using VERY SIMPLE English while conversing and writing as well (in the BMS and my journo classes too)... so, I guess I am also a totally-hate-jargons-unless-really-necessary-to-use-them guy... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home